Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tessa's Eyes

Tessa had her appointment with the pediatric ophthalmologist today.  I've been so excited, looking forward to this appointment and getting answers.  I didn't think it would be bad news.  Just more information.  Unfortunately, I was wrong.  When we first saw the doctor he said he thought it was so strange that Tessa was wearing glasses at such a young age, even if she was farsighted.  Her eyes should correct themselves at this age.  He said he didn't think she needed to wear the glasses but would let me know more after he dilated her eyes.  I was so excited!  I called my mom and Trevor to share the great news while we were waiting for her eyes to dilate.  As he was looking at her eyes after he dilated them he said he understood why she needed glasses.  Her situation is very unique.  She is VERY farsighted, which we already knew.  Her exotrophia (eyes turning out) is in both eyes.  We thought it was in just one.  Normally this would correct itself by about 6 months old but given her unique situation she may need corrective surgery when she's a year old.  She also has a problem with her retina.  He thinks she has retinal dystrophy.  I had no idea what that meant as far as how well she could see, so I asked if she'd be able to drive.  He said your eyes are like a camera.  The retina being the film.  If the film is bad you get nothing.  So probably not.  Her eyesight is very limited.  She can only see from about 1.5 - 4 feet.  My heart is breaking for my precious baby.  I'm trying to stay positive but all I can think of are the things she'll never be able to see or do.  All these thoughts are going through my head of how her life will be.  Imagining her sitting in special ed, with a big book and big words and her thick glasses makes me smile.  But I know to all the other kids she will be the perfect target to bully and make fun of.  Daddy will have to give her a blessing and we will have to pray for the best and to have faith.

No comments: